Image from Iyanla.co
If you haven’t heard of Iyanla Vanzant, I feel sorry for you. Other than my Mother and Oprah, this woman has had the most impact on my life.
Iyanla was born Rhonda Eva Harris. She changed her name to shed her past and step into her life. She knew that to help others, she would have to start with herself. She is a life coach, motivational speaker and ordained minister.
Here are 10 quotes by Iyanla:
1. ‘Everything that happens to you is a reflection of what you believe about yourself. We cannot outperform our level of self-esteem. We cannot draw to ourselves more than we think we are worth.’
2. ‘The only way to get what you really want is to let go of what you don't want.’
3. ‘Choice is a divine teacher, for when we choose we learn that nothing is ever put in our path without a reason.’
4. ‘So many of us invest a fortune making ourselves look good to the world, yet inside we are falling apart. It's time to invest on the inside.’
5. ‘Remain open. There is something bigger than you know going on here.’
6. ‘You don't get to tell people how to love you; you get to choose if you want to participate in the way they love.’
7. ‘In the process of planning and having a wedding, I forgot there would actually be a marriage, a union of minds, bodies, souls, and issues that would come together as soon as the ceremony was over.’
8. ‘So many of us invest a fortune making ourselves look good to the world, yet inside we are falling apart. It's time to invest on the inside.’
9. ‘You can never love anyone to your own detriment. That is not love, that is possession, control, fear, or a combination of them all.’
10. ‘Your willingness to look at your darkness is what empowers you to change.’