You can tell by Evan’s practice that he is inspiring. He took my class when we both lived in New York in 2014 and I was prompted to ask him an array of questions because he left a mark on me.
Now, you can be inspired by him, as a person and a teacher:
1. How long have you been teaching?I have been teaching for 5 years.
2. What motivated you to start teaching and what have you learnt from teaching?
I was motivated to teach after I started practicing yoga more consistently. I thought it was a great way to deepen my understanding of the practice and help me towards a new path in my journey. I learned so much from teaching yoga especially from my students. From each student, the yoga is represented in different ways as each body is, of course unique and different. I found ways to read bodies and learn how to give variations of asanas, helping my students understand and connect to their practice.
3. What is something that you have learnt from a fellow teacher?
"Sometimes less is more". I realized that everyday, our bodies are different, and so is the practice. While practicing yoga, it should never feel like we are practicing yesterday's poses today and if it does, I feel like its purely the mind's perspective of the present experience. We, as yoga practitioners, create our own experiences in our practice.
4. How many times a week do you practice?
I try to practice at least 4-5 times a week.
5. What inspires your practice?
Building a connection between mind, body, breath, and spirit.
6. Why is it necessary for you to practice?
I don't feel like its necessary to practice. Yoga for me is never an obligation and if it does, I would take a break, which i have before. There is a difference between doing yoga to live and living to do yoga.
7. What message do you like to spread through teaching?
Take action regardless of the fruits of your labors.
8. Where are you currently teaching?
I currently teach at Powerhouse gym in South Hackensack, NJ
9. How has yoga helped your character develop?
Yoga has changed my perspective of reality. To notice things i would normally get upset about and realize its not worth it or to take deep breaths when im stress.
10. What has kept you practicing all these years?
The way yoga has made me feel mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
11. What would you tell yourself when you started teaching yoga?
"Fake it till you make it" I was never good at public speaking so I told myself I am good. It helped me build the courage until it became real.
11. What are the best ways to start teaching at a yoga studio?
Practice yoga at studios you would be interested in teaching. Get to know the studio owner and take a few classes.
12. Why is breath so important in your practice?
Breath is what connects mind, body and spirit. Without breath there is no life.
13. What is your FB name? IG name and twitter? Evan Sun for FB and Evansunyoga for IG. No twitter.