If you have ever been in her class, you understand her humour and sense of compassion. She is a yogi whom I admire and would like to share with you some inspirational words from Courtney Fitzgerald:
1. How long have you been teaching? 3 years
2. What motivated you to teach and what did you learn from teaching? I was feeling grateful for all the joy and courage I had found from practicing under a couple of incredible teachers. I wanted to enable others to feel this way. Though I definitely played it cool and said I was doing a teacher training to learn more about the practice.
3. How many times a week do you practice? I do some type of exercise 6 days a week. I used to do yoga every day and found that that was unhealthy for me. I probably do a standard yoga practice 3-4 times a week.
4. Who inspires your practice? It's not usually a who. Sometimes it's a meaningful quote. Or when teachers suggest picking a word to use as an intention for the practice, "freedom" is often the first word to pop into my head. Although one time recently it was "puppy" (it worked out fine). My pal/fellow teacher Brian has probably had the most influence over my physical practice because he doesn't let me off the hook with old habits and I appreciate that.
5. Why is it necessary to practice? Practicing yoga lets me feel like I can move through things. And change them. And feel frustrated and clumsy but also calm. And once in awhile I feel like an elegant swan. I feel like I know with more certainty how I feel and what is driving me in my life after I practice. And I also know that it will change over time.
6. What message do you like to spread through teaching? It's important to feel stable so that you can adventure. You're never stuck and you can always change your mind.
7. Where are you currently teaching? Y7, The Yoga Room, Yoga Vida, hOM, Exubrancy, various private clients and businesses around the city.