There is no doubt that Yancy, who some may know as 'Scotty', Scwartz is a true yogi. By true, I mean that he has learnt to detach the Ego from his teaching and practice.
Let his inspirational words inspire you:
1. How long have you been teaching?
2. What motivated you to start teaching and what have you learnt from teaching?
It just kinda fell into place. The more I wanted to practice, the more I wanted to teach. I learned how to be more compassionate to others through teaching. Whatever I teach, I'd better be doing because it makes the teaching authentic. People know and feel what's real and what's not.
3. What is something that you have learnt from a fellow teacher?
I learned how to say less from my Dharma teachers.
4. How many times a week do you practice?
My main practice is a specific mantra and pranayama routine sitting in lotus. That happens 5 days a week. Physical asana I do everyday for fun.
5. Who inspires your practice?
My friends, the people around me.
6. Why is it necessary to you to practice?
Because it will help spread consciousness and awareness. With that consciousness and awareness I can walk around more liberated.
7. What message do you like to spread through teaching?
Stimulate your sixth sense and tap into your higher self. Operating from your higher self is a peaceful and compassionate place to be.
8. Where are you currently teaching?
Sweat Yoga, Hot 8 Yoga Santa Monica, Create Yoga and Hollywood Power Yoga
9. How has skateboarding been a part of your yogic journey?
It's a catalyst because you are constantly using your legs, so that takes care of your lower body. Yoga is a lot of upper body. So you spread awareness, consciousness through your lower body, your upper body. Once you master your body you can go beyond it. To skateboard you must be fully present like in yoga except in skateboarding if you are not present the consequences are a lot greater.
9. Has yoga helped you through something that you struggled with? If so, what and how?
I've broken my wrist and foot skateboarding, and yoga has helped me recover. Yoga has helped me to not feel limited. Little by little yoga can help you rebuild and work past certain injuries.
10. What has kept you practicing?
It's my dharma. I teach, so I must practice so I am always in the students position. Its a prerequisite for the job.
Follow him on Instagram: @yancyscotschartz Visit his website: www.yancyyoga.com